|TEMPLES ON THE HEMAKUTA HILL
According to mythology, Lord Shiva did penance on the Hemakuta Hill before
he married Parvati. This was also the place where Lord Shiva burnt Kama, the God
of lust. This sacred hill lies to the proper right of the Virupaksha temple. At
present, Sree Gayathri Peetha Maha Samsthana, a religious organisation is located
on this hill.
On the hill are a large group of temples built in pre- Vijayanagara and Vijayanagara
periods. According to the inscription found on the second of these temples, the
temple was built in 1309-1310 A.D. Two temples, facing north, have a compact three-celled
plan with an antechamber, a pillared hall and an entrance porch. Their beauty
is enhanced by the well balanced but simple Shikhara or spires above the sanctum.
These shikaras are different from the other shikaras found in Hampi. They are
stepped pyramidal in shape, resembling the Shikaras of Jain temples. Hence these
temples are also mistakenly called as Jain temples.
The other temples facing north and east, on this hill belong to early Vijayanagara